Messenger Corps by J.N. ChaneyMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
All right. This is entirely on me. I really probably should have read up on what kind of book this was rather that making stupid little assumptions.
You know, like we could get some kind of heavy-mech space opera story based on a messenger service. Like full-out deliveries. With occasional oh-shit moments.
I thought to myself, hey, even if it's somewhat bad, that would be pretty cool and unusual, wouldn't it?
But yeah, no. This is entirely on me.
Instead, we get ancient AI, a powerful mech, and a story that has a bit too much religion and shades of warhammer 4ok and MilSF for my tastes. Too much concerning the "messenger" "chosen one" type tropes for my taste.
And worse, now that I'm reading up on it, it's apparently a continuation of another series of stories that I'm unfamiliar with and, sadly, probably wouldn't have been overly interested in. I'm just not that into long justifications for holy wars.
I still wish I had my bonkers, half-baked story handed to me instead. Alas. Stupid me.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment