Academy of Outcasts by Larry CorreiaMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
I know this is billed in some circles as a LitRPG, but no. I really think it belongs firmly in the YA fantasy category with some, but not a lot of crossover, of dark academia.
In reality, it's elemental realms complete with asshole mages, slavery by other names, and a bunch of power-jealous peeps that turn everything rather lawless and wild-westy.
It ALSO happens to be a full-buildup of a crafty mage who, while being magically weak, happens to fight really dirty. Mostly just to survive. And because of that, tends to win despite horrible odds.
But later? A very enjoyable fantasy including new, also poor, friends, a hunger to learn and survive in the big city, and some other dirty tricks that may--or may not--help them survive the books to come.
I loved it.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment