Polostan by Neal StephensonMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Re-Read 10/6/26:
Getting myself prepped for the sequel with a re-read. Really enjoying Dawn/Aurora's tale, the tragedy and the sense of fun. But like Stephenson's other historical novels, I'm even more impressed by his sense of milieu. For example, young Patton and the early days of what tanks might become, side-by-side with horses and their continued cultural significance. Shown, not told.
And, of course, there are some really great cameos of the science world of the 1930's as a perfect mirror to Stephenson's other historicals.
I'm really excited for the new book.
Original Review:
Polostan is definitely one for Stepensonstans. While I'll never call this one a top 4 for his copious awesome-making bibliography, Neal definitely delivers on a wickedly wild alt-history ride taking us through great spycraft-grooming from the Lenin's revolution to the United States, from Bonnie and Clyde to Montana gunslingers to DC revolutionary activity to the Chicago Fair to the first glimmers of the science that will lead to the Atomic Bomb. Let's not forget the gangsters, the Gilded age, and Comrades, galore!
Seriously, this is a tour-de-force of funky fun, written like a cyberpunk (hello Stephensonstans) meets historical greatness. Of course, this just reminds me of Neal's other historical trilogy, but this hits closer to home, with all the great walk-ons of the age.
It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's smart and wild and insanely political.
Not OUR political, mind you, but let's just say the 1920's and 1930's have a LOT in common with today.
Well worth the read!
Personal note:
If anyone reading my reviews might be interested in reading my own SF, I'm going to be open to DM requests. I think it's about time I get some eyes on them.
Arctunn.com
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment