Awakening by RinoZMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
After being amazed with others in this LitRPG vein (Bagwell) and already loving the centipede crap out of RonoZ's FOR THE COLONY series, I was very interested to see how this turned out.
I mean, who doesn't love to level up a necromancy class? Skeleton armies are all the rage these days.
Well, it turns out, I don't have any major bones to pick with this introduction. I'm enjoying it's deadly gaze, but it's NOT nearly as quick to escalate as I might have guessed. Indeed, the slow burn is rather impressive. Mostly a focus on survival and evading detection and wanting to genuinely help people out, as opposed to total edge-lord territory, but above that, the dangers are genuine and oppressive from multiple sources, be it an outsider incursion, the magical elites who care more for their power than the people they're supposed to help, or the fact that this poor isolated kid is almost entirely up shit creek in the worst possible areas.
I have to root for him, no matter what skills he uses. And it doesn't hurt that he has a pretty awesome moral compass.
It's a great setup. A slow burn, but a great setup. I'm going to love diving into it more.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment