Friday, August 21, 2026

The Society of Unknowable ObjectsThe Society of Unknowable Objects by Gareth Brown
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Well now. I guess I had some high hopes for this book or something. I'm not saying it's bad, but it wasn't quite as interesting as I hoped it'd be. It's a throwback to old treasure hunting with mildly ominous magical artifacts as the goal. With a slightly uninteresting villain.

And as a kid, I used to stay up late watching Friday the 13th, the TV series. I loved the hell out of that, and that was definitely as a stupid kid from a stupid kid's PoV, and yet, the memories of THAT was probably two times better than what we get here.

It's probably just a me thing. I guess I wanted to be more than minorly, just slightly entertained.

And perhaps I am just expecting a bit too much out of magical realism. The realism should ground it, but the magic should massively elevate it. In this case, the realism is just a bit aggravating and the magic is rather ho-hum.

Sorry. It's me, not you.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Society of Unknowable Objects by Gareth Brown My rating: 2 of 5 stars Well now. I guess I had some high hopes for this book or somet...