Monday, September 28, 2026

A Divided Duty (October Daye, #20)A Divided Duty by Seanan McGuire
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

All right, I have to admit this is a LOT better than the previous Daye novel. I don't have to start screaming that Toby is acting like a completely befuddled moron again. Or that she's utterly ignoring the good advice of the people who love her.

This one just happens to be a pretty great tale about saving family. Or if not ACTUAL family, it's close enough as to make no odds. And if it comes with a bunch of baggage from 19 other novels, at least we have a moral compass to follow and some blood magic to keep the truly bad shit from getting that much worse.

But you know what I like most about this novel? We're returning to the land where we need a candle to light our way. And for those of you who still remember the series, that particular book is a true highlight.

Toby, with a ton-more Fae blood in her than before, with the authority of the Fae Court and a more loving position with the Sea Witch, is in a position to do a lot more good than before.

Now, if only the Fae would just stop the whole generational cycle of abuse. Please. Damn.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Divided Duty by Seanan McGuire My rating: 4 of 5 stars All right, I have to admit this is a LOT better than the previous Daye novel. I ...