As We Fall Through Time: The extraordinary tale of time travel, betrayal and a love that echoes through the centuries by Claire NorthMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
I went through several evolutions as I read this, but with one caveat: I've always trusted this author to do right by me, no matter what the subject or genre or weird direction they take me. I just sit back and enjoy the ride.
And this one wasn't my cup of tea for a grand stretch, but I trusted the author and the author didn't lead me astray.
My original complaint? Well, for a time-travel novel, it was truly stuck on the romance bit. This shouldn't be a surprise, going by the title, but it was slow going, eventually evolving into a tragic mystery and then into a more mundane mystery and then into a cataclysmic mystery that eventually resolved into a huge, rather brilliant novel that connected all the pieces together AND rather blew my mind at the climax.
And things that are eventually revealed tickled me seriously. With no spoilers. The PoV changes are what do me in.
I'm still laughing.
And yet, this isn't a comedy. It's about as serious as serious can get and it has the emotional gravity of a very different kind of novel. And I love every moment of it.
Now. After getting through what I thought were the slow parts, the parts I scoffed at, it all comes together, wonderfully, and I even cried.
Ahem. And once again, I'm forced to repeat that I must trust certain authors. Explicitly.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment